The quest for reducing traffic-related fatalities in the UAE to 3 per 100,000 people by 2021 led the Ministry of Interior to increase the number of black points and the amount of fines paid by violators. Black points usually tarnish your traffic record and when you accumulate more than 23 your driving license is suspended. Wecashanycar investigated how you can reduce black points in Dubai and this is what we found.
Understanding the concept of black points
The UAE is a melting pot of cultures and thus attracts all types of characters and drivers. Black points are used as stiffer penalties to dissuade motorists from breaking the law. Most black points are issued in combination with a certain amount of fines. Different traffic laws will attract a different number of black points depending on their gravity.
In the UAE, cameras and radars are used to monitor traffic and capture any traffic offences. When you commit a traffic offence that is punishable by both fines and black points, the traffic police will automatically add the black points to your traffic file. This is done within 48 hours and a notification is usually sent to you via SMS.
You can also check if you have any black points in your traffic file by visiting the Dubai Police or Abu Dhabi Police websites. Usually, if you have less than 23 black points you can still drive your car as you wait for the one year validity of your black points to expire. Once you accumulate 24 black points, your license will be suspended for a certain period of time.
What are the consequences of black points in the UAE?
Subject to the traffic violation in question, this can range between 3 months and 6 months. The first time you get 24 black points, your license will be suspended for a period of 3 months. The second time you will have to endure 6 months of license suspension! However, if you accumulate 24 black points for the third time, you will face a license suspension for a period of one year. Additionally, you will also have to undertake a driving course and test conducted by the relevant authority in the Emirate where you reside.
Which traffic offenses attract the highest black points?
The revised UAE traffic rules sought to mete out more stringent punitive measures for certain traffic offenses that might seem minor yet portend high risk for motorists. Unlike in the past, one traffic violation can attract 23 or even 24 black points, leading to automatic license suspension. These include the following traffic offenses:-
Offenses that attract 12 black points
- Jumping a red light for a light vehicle and motorbike
- Driving a noisy vehicle
- Driving a vehicle with a driving license that is different from what you are permitted
- Conducting modifications on your engine or chassis without obtaining the relevant permits
- Exceeding maximum speed limit by 60km/h
- Running away from a traffic policeman when requested
Offenses that attract 23 black points
- Driving under the influence of alcohol
- Causing the death of someone while driving a vehicle
- Causing a serious accident or injuries
- Driving a vehicle without number plates
- Exceeding the maximum speed limit by more than 80km/h
Offenses that attract 24 black points
- Using a vehicle to carry and transport passengers without permission
- Using a vehicle to carry and transport hazardous or inflammable materials without permission
Besides these, there are more traffic offenses in the UAE that attract smaller number of points. While these might seem insignificant, they can easily accumulate and get to the forbidden 24 black points. The best thing to do once you get a lack point is to drive safely and avoid getting even one more.
Reducing your black points
Once you get black points in the UAE, you have very few options to get rid of them, other than wait for a year to elapse and start on a new slate. For those who have already amassed the 24 black points mark, there is nothing that can be done. However, if you still have less than 23 black points, there are three things that you can do to reduce your black points:-
- Enroll in the regular classes for reducing black points offered by the traffic police department in your Emirate. The Dubai Police offer a AED 200 per course to reduce eight black points which is only availed to those with less than 24 black points. This might seem like a small number but it can help you avoid hitting the dreaded 24 black points mark.
- Participate in occasional black point redemption programmes offered by the traffic police departments in different Emirates. For instance in 2018, the Abu Dhabi Police conducted a random learning programme that gave motorists a chance to reduce their black points after undertaking the course. The programme required affected traffic offenders with 8-23 black points to participate in a training session conducted by the Abu Dhabi police and Al Ain police and undertake a test before having all their black points erased.
- Take advantage of any traffic penalties reprieve offered by governing authorities in different Emirates. Sometimes during Ramadan or other special occasions, traffic police departments offer discounts on traffic fines and you can use these to reduce your black points. Take a look at our article about How to get 100% discount on your traffic fines in Dubai.
Ultimately, the easiest way to avoid black points is to drive carefully, abiding by all the traffic rules in the UAE. Regardless of how trivial a traffic rule might seem, it is better to obey it rather than earn a needless black point. If you follow simple rules such as belting up and using avoiding using your phone while driving, you will keep traffic fines and black points at bay.
If you want to sell your used car, but you have traffic fines and black points, you should come to wecashanycar. We will sort out the fines, on your behalf, and give you instant cash for your car. Wondering where to sell second hand cars? With wecashanycar you get the easiest way to sell your car for cash online – Simply log on to our sell my car page and get your car valuation done in our Dubai or Abu Dhabi branches, or with our Car Valuation service at home sell your car hassle-free!