While having a car is convenient, you have to incur high costs for maintaining and servicing your vehicle. Even though car maintenance expenses are unavoidable, there are ways to minimise how much we cough up towards our cars. Wecashanycar has come up with 3 easy DIY tips for car maintenance that will save you time, money and the inconvenience of dealing with mechanics every other day.
- Air Filter. Unlike old cars that required a new air filter every year or after completing 12,000 miles, modern cars can sustain a filter for a little longer. Each manufacturer will provide you with a manual that contains information on how frequently you ought to change your air filter. Air filter change is probably the easiest DIY car maintenance job. This DIY is as simple as it gets yet will save you between AED 99 and AED 500 which is the standard cost of oil and filter changes in the UAE. All you need is a screwdriver and a new air filter. Once you have these you can follow these three steps:-
- Locate the air filter. This is usually housed in a black case under your hood
- Take note of how it has been placed
- Replace the old filter with a new one
- Close the case and screw it closed
- Oil Change. An oil change helps you avoid engine problems and must be done every three months or after 5,000 miles or 10,000 miles depending on the car that you drive. Changing your own car oil enables you to follow your manufacturer’s instructions to the tee, hence use the right oil for your car. Although mechanics get a lot of money from this maintenance you can easily do it yourself in the comfort of your garage. You will need to raise your car and use jack stands for this procedure as going under a car that is only supported by jacks is very dangerous. Before performing the oil change in a cold car, you have to drive your car around to warm it up a little. On the other hand, if you are just in from a long drive, you have to wait for at least half an hour for the oil to cool down before beginning the change. Once your car is lifted up, you can change the oil by following these simple steps:-
- Get under your car and locate the oil pan
- Remove the drain plug and drain the old oil
- Get back to your engine and change the filter, Ensure that you coat the gasket with fresh oil before installing the new filter
- Reinstall the plug and if necessary use a new washer to ensure it is safe
- Add the new oil and use your dipstick to check the oil level covers the new filter up to two-thirds
- Get rid of the old filter and start the recycling process of the old oil
While there are many places you can change your oil and filter in Dubai, it is more convenient and way cheaper to do it yourself. Why stress yourself looking for AED 99- AED 520 discount packages and booking appointments with mechanics when you can master how to change the oil for a cheaper price?
3. Car battery. Even though your car battery is meant to serve you for five to six years, factors such as extreme weather can substantially reduce this lifespan. Taking good care of your battery will help you avoid getting stranded in the middle of nowhere and the extra expenses of towing services. Fortunately, a simple inspection of your car battery can reveal if you need to clean or change your terminals. Should you spot rust coated terminals you can clean them with a mixture of baking soda and water. You can also buy a battery tester for around AED 30 to help you assess whether or not you need to change your battery. If you find that your battery needs to be charged, you can buy a battery charger for around AED 50 that will help you charge your battery in the comfort of your home. These simple and easy to DIY battery maintenance tips will help you save up to AED 900 for a new battery.
Ultimately, driving carefully is the best car maintenance and money saving tip that you can practice. Learn more about the driving habits that ruin your car and how to avoid them. Should you need to sell your used car in the UAE, look no further than wecashanycar for instant cash and excellent customer service.